All Passengers using the services of Hot Air do so under the following terms & conditions. By paying for and accepting supply of these services you agree to be bound by these conditions.
1. Operator : means Hot Air Pty Ltd ABN 97053836025
Air Operators Certificate Number N541038
1.1 Substitute Operator : Due to operational requirements on the morning of travel, you maybe flown by another CASA accredited balloon operator who will also provide your transfer. We will endeavour to give you as much notice as possible of such a change, but you may not know until you are being collected for your flight on the morning. Please be assured that any other operator we use will have full insurance as required by Australian Regulations and is carefully chosen by us to meet high standards of customer care and safety.
2. Fare Prices : Fare prices are in Australian Dollars for travel up to and including 31st March the year following and are calculated live in our system, They include GST where applicable. Prices change at least every year on 1st April for travel after that date or may change at any time based on prevailing market prices or changes by other package operators. A Peak Season Surcharge may apply on certian dates and peak seasons or weekends and public holidays, final pricing will be given at checkout based on the travel date selected.
2.1. Currency Prices are charged in AUD and will be refunded if necessary in AUD, any currency fluctiation that takes place in the meantime is at the risk of the customer and will not be reimbursed by the Operator.
3. Alterations to Bookings
3.1. Bookings for 9 people or less : alterations made MORE THAN 72 hours before travel (earlier than 04:00am, 3 days before travel, as logged on the Operator’s system audit) may be made without penalty. Alterations made less than 72 hours before travel will attract a AU$50 per person re-booking fee payable immediatly upon rebooking direct to the Hot Air not your travel agent.
3.2. Bookings for 10 people or more : alterations made more than 7 clear working days before travel (as logged in the Operator’s system audit) may be made without penalty. Alterations made less than 7 clear working days before travel will attract a full cancellation fee.
4. Cancellation and Deposit Policy
4.1. Bookings for 9 people or less : cancellations made more than 72 hours before travel (earlier than 04:00am, 3 days before travel, as logged on the Operator’s system audit) may be made without penalty and a full refund will be given to the Customer. Cancellations made less than 72 hours before travel will attract a 100% cancellation fee and no refund at the Operator’s discretion. The Operator has the right to retain all deposits received up to the amount of the cancellation fee and invoices will be issued for any further amounts outstanding.
4.2. Bookings for 10 people or more : cancellations made more than 7 clear working days before travel (as logged in the Operator’s system audit) may be made without penalty and a full refund will be given to the Customer. Cancellations made less than 7 clear working days before travel will attract a 100% cancellation fee. The Operator has the right to retain all deposits received up to the amount of the cancellation fee and invoices will be issued for any further amounts outstanding.
4.3. Weather Cancellations
4.3.1. Bookings for 9 people or less : cancellations made by the Operator due to inclement weather will entitle the customer to a full refund of the Fare Price. Please note that if the customer made the booking for travel through a booking agent all refunds of deposits and booking fees are to be obtained directly from the booking agent. Such booking agent may at their discretion retain a booking fees less than or equal to 100% of the price.
4.3.2. Bookings for 10 people or more : a deposit equivalent to 10% of the Fare Price on the booking will be retained by Hot Air as a booking fee. Please note that if the customer made the booking for travel through a booking agent all refunds of deposits and booking fees are to be obtained directly from the booking agent. Such booking agent may at their discretion retain a booking fees less than or equal to 100% of the price.
4.3.3. Prize Bookings: Each prize booking is different based on the community support that this firm extends. Prize tickets are not refundable and not transferable. Prize tickets are subject to availability. Please note that if the customer received the prize via a third party, that the conditions for this ticket are only valid and available from the Hot Air reservations office and all terms and conditions relating to Prize tickets can only be accessed through this channel, information relevant to Prize tickets is not available through any company operational staff nor through the fundraiser, charity or community channel.
4.4. Payment Policy :
4.4.1. If payment is not made at the time of booking, credit card details are needed to secure the booking and final payment needs to be made at least three days prior to travel
4.4.2. In order to hold a confirmed space for more than 9 people Hot Air will require a minimum 10% deposit at the time of booking. This is refundable subject to the cancellation policy above.
4.4.3. For Bookings requiring exclusive use, or greater than 20 people, prepayment of 50% of the final price will be required 3 weeks prior to departure. Final numbers are required 7 days prior to travel and will be invoiced on that basis. Fail to Loads will be charged based on the pax numbers advised and invoiced 7 days before travel.
5. Quotes :Quotes for special events, incentives, private charters, and specific requirements and incentives will be valid for 7 days from the date issued. The Operator reserves the right to re-quote based on any changes to quote requirements. A deposit will be required with confirmation which may vary from the above, please ask.
6. Booking Processing and Payment : Bookings for travel with the Operator may be made by telephone, facsimile, email, live chat or on the website. Once your booking is confirmed the Operator will issue you with a booking confirmation reference number. Your booking is not confirmed unless a confirmation reference number has been issued. Bookings not paid for by 72 prior to travel will be cancelled by the Operator.
7. Safety Requirements for Travel
7.1. Hot Air ballooning is an outdoor adventure activity using rural properties that can be uneven or overgrown for take off and landing. Please come dressed as if you were taking a bushwalk with appropriate clothing and sturdy enclosed footwear. While the flight is gentle, landings can be bumpy and the basket may occasionally lay on its side with passengers lying horizontal for a short time. Please ask if you have any concerns. The packing up tasks at the end of the flight are optional and we would appreciate your assistance in these enjoyable activities. However, they do involve some lifting and participation is entirely voluntary. Passengers that are less able bodied are invited to stand back and take pictures of the fun.
7.2. General Mobility : It is a Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) and company requirement that Passengers flying with the Operator must be able to climb INTO the basket unaided, so that in the event of an emergency Passengers are also able to climb out of the basket unaided. The side of the basket is approx. 1.2 metres high with two footholds for passengers to use like a ladder when climbing into the basket. The Operator’s staff will be in attendance to supervise Passengers climbing into the basket but are not allowed to actively assist Passengers into the basket. The Pilot in command will make the final decision on whether a passenger is able to climb into the basket unaided and therefore travel on the balloon flight. In the event that the Pilot refuses to allow a passenger to board on this basis the Passenger will be given a partial refund through their booking agent or by Hot Air if they booked directly with the Operator.
7.3. Disabled Passengers : The Operator recommends that disabled persons seek medical advice before participating in a balloon flight. Civil Aviation Safety Authority rules prohibit certain disabled persons for safety reasons. As stated above the Passenger must be able to climb in and out of the basket unaided in order to participate in the balloon flight. Disabled Passengers participating in the balloon flight do so at the own risk and the Operator accepts no liability for any damage or injury caused.
7.4. Pregnant Persons : The Operator recommends that pregnant persons do not fly in a hot air balloon and we will not carry passengers who are pregnant. Passengers who suspect they may be pregnant should check with their doctor before travel.
7.5. Scuba Diving : The Operator will not carry passengers who have participated in a scuba dive the night before their balloon flight. Passengers diving the day before travel should check with a qualified dive master as to the safety of the passenger in participating in the balloon flight. The Operator usually does not fly above 4,500 feet altitude and most flights are around 2,500 feet altitude. Passengers diving the day before travel who participate in the balloon journey do so at their own risk and the Operator accepts no liability for any damage or injury caused.
7.6. Medical Conditions : Passengers with medical conditions should check their suitability to fly prior to booking and advise our staff when booking. As the entire tour last more than 4 hours, passengers are advised to carry any necessary medication with them. Persons with medical conditions participating in the balloon flight and pack up activities do so at their own risk and the Operator accepts no liability for any damage or injury caused.
7.7. Alcohol and Drugs : At no time will a passenger be allowed to fly if their judgement is impaired by alcohol, drugs, or prescription medicine. Passengers not able to fly may at the discretion of the Operator be given a partial refund through their booking agent or by Hot Air if they booked directly with the Operator.
7.8. Carriage at Pilot’s Discretion : The pilot in charge of the balloon has absolute discretion in deciding whether a passenger will fly or not. Such decisions are made in the best interest of the safety of the passengers and crew and the Operator accepts no liability for any inconvenience or damage caused. Passengers not able to fly may at the discretion of the Operator or travel agent be given a partial refund through their booking agent or by Hot Air if they booked directly with the Operator.
8. Minimum Age Requirement : Children must be a minimum of THREE years old to travel on the balloon flight and children up to the age of TWELVE years old must be accompanied by a responsible adult on the balloon flight. Children aged THIRTEEN to SEVENTEEN years old can travel on the balloon flight by themselves, but must be accompanied by a responsible adult for the rest of the tour including bus transfers. Children less then THREE years old may travel with their parents on the tour, but must remain on the ground in the company of at least one parent while the other parent takes the balloon flight and in this situation the parents have the option to fly on successive balloon flights when available. Adult prices will apply from FIFTEEN (15) years old.
9. Extra Levy : A compulsory additional Aviation Insurance Levy applies to all passengers regardless of age and it will usually be collected on the day of travel. If you are paying directly to Hot Air over the phone or internet we will pre charge it leaving nothing to pay on the day of travel. The current rate for this levy is AU$30 per person and is marked as an additional included cost on all Hot Air Balloon flight tours and packages.
9.1 Peak Season Surcharge and Variable Pricing by Date of Travel : Prices displayed are the lowest available, and are only available on some days, hence a peak season or seasonal surcharge may be applied once the date is selected in the shopping cart. This applies ot times such as weekends public holidays, Chinese New Year and Christmas. Actual dates can be given by the operator or can be seen by selecting you date of travel in the checkout cart.
10. Flight Times, "Sunrise" and Duration : Hot Air operates balloon flights early in the morning as close to sunrise as possible, but specifically does NOT guarantee passengers will be in the air at sunrise, be aware that weather conditions or cloud mayof course affect to what degreee the sun or sunrise is seen. Balloons travel with the wind,which governs their speed and direction. Accordingly, the duration of the flight may vary slightly at the pilot’s discretion.
10.1. 30 Minute Flight - Passengers on tours such as Gold30, C30, and PD30 will enjoy approximately 30 minutes of ballooning, which could be the first flight or the second flight of the morning. First flight seats are subject to availability and require an additional payment. Actual flight time may be more or less than 30 minutes and there will be no refund if the flight is less than 30 minutes. All Packages advertised on this website include a 30 minute flight. By special request packages may be available with 60 minute flights at an additional charge.
10.2. One Hour Flight – Passengers on tours offering a one hour flight such as the GC60, C60, PD60, and LX60 will enjoy approximately 60 minutes of ballooning. The flight time may be offered as two separate, sequential 30 minute flights taken one directly after the other with a short changeover in between the two flights, or as a continuous 60 minute flight, depending on operational restrictions. Continuous 60 minute flights may have to be loaded with upgraded 30 minute passengers if there are insufficient 60 minute passengers to allow the balloon to fly. In such circumstances, 60 minute passengers have the option of flying with the upgraded passengers or shortening their flight to 30 minutes and receiving a refund back to the 30 minute price. Please let the crew know prior to loading which option you prefer.
11. Private Charter : The private charter of balloons will be subject to the total of the passengers’ weight. Individual weights of each passenger must be supplied at the time of booking so that we may check the correct weight and balance will be present for the balloon on the day. Quotes are available from the Operator for specific group sizes. Please provide each passenger’s approximate body weight upon request for the quotation. Luxury products and Tour codes beginning with LX do not include a private charter balloon.
11.1 Luxury Products LX Tour Code : Luxury products (Tour Codes beginning with LX) do NOT include a private charter balloon. The Luxury Hot air Balloon tour and Private Hot Air Balloon trips are based on a costing of a minimum of two passengers and are subject to availability of operational resources, balloons and vehicles which may change at the last moment. For one Person only, travel is spossible but an extra charge on top of the standard price quoted on our website (which is priced on 2 people minimum in the vehicle) will be levied, quoted upon application for just one person to travel on the luxury or private charter products.
12. Days of Operation : Hot Air balloon rides are operated by Hot Air daily all year round (subject to weather conditions and passenger loadings) excluding New Years Day and Christmas Day. Hot Air reserves the right to alter flight and pick up availability at any time. Passengers are asked to confirm on the afternoon before that their tour will be operating and to ensure we have a mobile phone contact for them.
13. Minimum Numbers : Our normal balloon tours depart daily and we accept bookings for just one person (excluding Brisbane and Port Douglas tours). The Luxury Hot air Balloon tour Charter Hot Air Balloons are based on a minimum of two passengers and are subject to availability of operational resources, balloons and vehicles which may change at the last moment. An extra charge on top of the standard price quoted on our website (which is priced on 2 people minimum in the vehicle) will be levied, quoted upon application for just one person to travel on the luxury or private charter products.
14. Aviation Insurance in Australia is governed by the Civil Aviation (Carriers’ Liability) Act 1964 (Qld). The Operator’s Certificate of compliance and currency may be viewed HERE. Further details may be found at the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) website.
15. No Warranty : The Operator does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, suitability, or reliability of any information, service, or product listed on the Operator’s website.
16. Itineraries, Pickup and Drop Off Times : The times given in brochures, this website, emails, over the phone or other means are approximate and subject to change depending on the time of year and your exact pickup location. They may be earlier or later than those described. A closer time can be given to you upon reconfirmation with us the day before travel. Some small delays may ensue on the morning of travel if people to be collected before you are late arriving or there are traffic hold ups, which are out of our control. All efforts will be made to contact you if we are going to be more than 20 minutes after your scheduled pickup time. Call us on (07) 4039 9900 for Cairns or 07 5636 1508 for Gold Coast if you have a concern about your pickup being late. The time you are returned from your tour is entirely dependent on how the morning unfolds and can vary for a number of reasons, outside the Operators control. The Operator accepts no responsibility for any delay in returning passengers to their pick up location, connecting tour or departure point.
17.1. All passengers participate in a Hot Air Balloon tour at their own risk. The Operator does not accept any liability for any loss, claim, injury, or any direct, indirect, incidental, special, or consequential damage which may arise out of or is in any way connected with the Passenger’s participation in the Hot Air balloon tour.
17.2. Under no circumstances shall the Operator be liable for any loss, claim, or any direct, indirect, incidental, special, or consequential damages (including but not limited to lost profits or savings) which arises out of or is in any way connected with the use of any information, any listing of any data on the Operator’s website, or any delay or inability to use this website based on tort, contract, strict liability, or otherwise.
18. Jurisdiction :The laws of Queensland apply in relation to these terms and conditions and the Operator’s business.
19. Third Party Websites : This website may contain links to other websites maintained by third parties. The Operator is not responsible for and does not operate or control any information or services provided on such third party websites. The links are provided solely for convenience and do not constitute an endorsement by the Operator.
20. Condition Changes : The Operator reserves the right to amend the terms and conditions contained herein at any time. Visitors to the site shall be responsible for reviewing such term and conditions regularly.
21. Photographs, Filming and Media : As part of your Hot Air Balloon tour, Hot Air advises that photos and/or film are taken daily as a service to all our passengers on the morning. By travelling with Hot Air you are accepting that you assign all copyright in such photos and/or film to Hot Air & acknowledge that Hot Air has & reserves the right to use such photos and/or films in any medium & in any reasonable manner whatsoever without payment or notification to you.
22. Copyright : The compilation of the information contained herein is the copyrighted work of the Operator and may not be modified, copied, distributed, transmitted, displayed, reproduced, published, licensed, used to create derivative works from, transferred, or any information, services, or products obtained from this website sold without the express written consent of the Operator and where necessary other information providers. The Operator consents to Travel Agents selling the Operator’s products to use the material in their promotion of Australia, Queensland, Cairns, and the Operator directly by downloading from this website. Product and company names mentioned herein may be the trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.
23. Personal Items : All personal items are carried at the risk of the Passenger. Bags and backpacks may not be carried on the balloon due to weight and safety restrictions, do not bring large bags on our tour.
We stongly advise you NOT to bring valuables or Passports or identity documentation on our tour at all. But instead you should leave behind at home or in your hotel for safe keeping. You are specifically advised there are no secure facilities for storing personal items, while on tour.
Hot Air and/or its employees accepts no responsibility, nor are we liable for, any act of omission whatsoever (whether inside or outside their control) for any tour which may result in any loss, damage, detention, diversion or theft in regard to personal belongings, and will be exempt from liability in respect of direct or indirect or consequential loss or damage, irregularity, travel delay, itinerary alterantion ommission or extension, we accept no liability for additional expenses whatsoever. Now will we accept liability for inconvenience or any other event beyond our control including loss of other services, any acts of God, acts of government or other authorities, delays, strikes or cancellation or changes in itinerary or schedules whatsoever, howsoever by whosoever caused.
You are specifically advised that you should have your own travel insurance, or home insurance for any loses incurred by any theft or loss on our tour and that we will accept no liability in that regard.
24. Gift Vouchers : All gift vouchers are valid for 12 months from initial date of purchase and are fully transferable and refundable within that period. Vouchers will only be refunded to the purchaser. If you wish to extend the validity of your voucher, if appropriate this can be done for a further 60 days by paying an extension fee of AU$25 per person. Gift Vouchers can be transferred to others on the basis of the givers approval.
25. Failure to Load : If you fail to show for your tour for whatever reason, you will not receive a refund as we will have held a firm seat for you and turned away other bookings to do so. You may rebook a tour for another day in this instance for a fee of $50 nett per person immediatly payable at the time of rebooking direct to Hot Air not your travel agent . The Operator recommends travel insurance by taken out by all passengers.
26. Payment Methods : Payment can be made by :
26.1. Cash, direct deposit, AU$ travellers cheques, Visa card, Mastercard or Union Pay Card. Payment by Amex or JCB card will attract a 4% surcharge for processing and this surcharge is non-refundable in the event of a trip cancellation.
26.2. Credit Card Declined : If your credit card payment or paypal or other payment method cannot be authorised by the Operator earlier than 3 days prior to travel, our system will automatically cancel your reservation. The Operator will attempt to contact the Customer to obtain another form of payment. However, if the Operator cannot contact the Customer the Customer’s booking will not be held. The Customer will know that the Operator has obtained a correctly authorised payment and made a booking once the Customer receives their booking confirmation reference number and not before.
26.3. Travel Agents Voucher : If your travel agent gives you a voucher, its acceptance by us as a means of paying for your service depends upon your agents’ continuing good credit status with Hot Air. We reserve the right to ask you for full cash payment on the day of travel if we are unable to get satisfactory responses to our payment enquiries and credit checks of your travel agent.
Updated 01 December 2016